Viedma has the distinction of being not only the capital of the province of Río Negro, but also part of what is the oldest settlement in Patagonia. Its origin dates back to April 22, 1779. It was part of the population, under the Negro River's Fort, it was called Carmen de Patagones.
On July 1899, Viedma was ravaged by a flood of the river, leaving only the church standing. At that time, the government moved temporarily to Choele Choel to rebuilding the city. The following year, 1900, it was designated capital of the then Territory of Río Negro.
Currently there are traces of this natural disaster. The river appears only as a mute witness to the progress of the city that is the political and administrative center of Río Negro.
Today it has nearly 50 000 inhabitants. Its economy is primarily agricultural and small-town life almost. Sounding provincial, it is lying on the right bank of Negro River, opposite the historic Carmen de Patagones.
Viedma, Patagonia nearby. Gateway to reserves and protected areas where nature can be enjoyed in all its glory.